Lilypie

Lilypie

Friday, July 9, 2010

Bitter Disappointment, Anger and Crying

So I called today to see what the status of the financial info was as it was supposed to be to me this week and it's Friday. I found out the financial info is being held up by them not knowing for sure if legal guardianship is required or temporary guardianship, but they told me they are almost positive legal guardianship is required which means 45 day. 45 days before I could get my baby. Which means I'll have to say 'no' to her which is breaking my heart to pieces. So many pieces. Also this has nothing to do with her father being unknown. All babies from Nevada would have to undergo this 45 days as legal guardianship they are pretty sure is a Hague requirement. They are going to double check with the attorney and make sure he doesn't have a 'in' with a judge that could get us in quicker but I'm really not holding my breathe. So the way it's standing right now I can't adopt from Nevada at all, so nice to know after working with them for several months on the premise I could. But I just can't afford to carry two households for 45 days or to have someone care for my baby for 45 days, plus miss the first 45 days of her life. Also not being her guardian for the first 45 days, I'm not even sure now much access I'd even have to her. The agency does do 20% of there adoptions in Utah and is checking out for me how long it takes to get guardianship in Utah, which they think is much quicker. But at this particular moment. I don't have the heart to even think about starting all over again. I've gone from an agency working in Utah to and agency in Nevada to the same agency working in Utah!! What the heck!! What a day. So many tears as dreams for September, slowly die

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this Rebecca. I hope that something comes to light that you can continue.... this is so heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not sure if i understand this. is this only a nevada law? isn't hague a US law that would be interpreted the same in each state? how can families who adopt from florida get custody after 7-10 days then?

    and just for the record. everything in utah is adoptive parent friendly -- this isn't necessarily a good thing but it is the way it is. hoping for some good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavonne, with Florida they grant emergency legal guardianship which takes 7-10 days to grant. In Nevada at this time they are telling me it will take me ~45 days to get legal guardianship since the courts are that backed up and generally are. They aren't sure that Nevada will go for emergency granting of legal guardianship. I'm not sure of all the legality either, I just have to roll with the punches.

    ReplyDelete